TORRANCE ARTISTS GUILD COMPETITION RULES
In order to make the TAG Artist of the Year competition more competitive, there shall be two levels of the competition, Silver and Gold. To qualify for the Gold level a member must have at least 20 points (determinedby the previous year’s score). All others shall compete in the Silver level. New members will also be at the Silver level. During the course of the year Silver level artists who have attained 20 points will move to the Gold level. Once an artist reaches Gold level, they will stay in the gold level for the next year. If at the end of that year they have not scored at least 12 points, they shall move back to the Silver level.
First, second and third places will be awarded at each level. Honorable Mentions will be awarded if there are more than 7 artworks in either level. Levels will be identified by different colors of tape. The competition chair will have a list of all Gold competitors for level identification purposes. There will be one Popular Choice ribbon which will cover both levels.
The TAG Board, has the right to modify these rules for individual meetings due to special circumstances (i.e. no outside judge for a monthly competition). The artist with the most points accumulated for the calendar year will be “Artist of the Year” and can come from either level. The award will be presented at the January meeting along with a free membership for the following year. Any artist winning this award two years in succession will be promoted to Platinum Level and will not be eligible to compete for the next year, though may bring artwork each month for display only.
1. Only members are eligible to enter.
2. New members must be members for one calendar month before competing.
3. Each artist is limited to one entry per month.
4. Artwork shall be judged by the demonstrating artist/.guest speaker during the business portion of the
meeting. Popular choice shall be voted on by the members and guests during the break.
5. Artwork must be clean and dry. Artwork on paper should be supported and protected. Gallery wrapped
canvas must be painted round the sides. Artwork need not be framed.
6. All work shall be original .Copies of other artwork including published photographs will not be accepted. Reworked art previously entered is ineligible.
7. Artwork must be signed in by 7.00pm.
8. All work must have been completed within the last two years.
9. Any piece winning an award may not be entered in subsequent monthly competitions.
10. Points awarded as follows for both groups:
- First Place 5 points
- Second Place 4 points
- Third Place 3 points
- Honorable Mention 2 points (if more than 7 pieces entered)
- Popular Choice 5 points
- Entering 1 point
Award ribbons will be given out at the end of the meeting